Provencal Eggplant-Tomato Gratin
- 1.5 lb eggplants 6 small-medium
- 4 cloves garlic 1 minced or pressed, 3 thinly sliced
- .33 c olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 c onions sliced, divided
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- .25 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp sea salt divided
- 5 tomatoes sliced, about 6 slices per tomato
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 mushrooms button, sliced
- .33 c green olives Nicoise or large green, pitted and crushed
- .33 c fresh basil torn
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Trim stems from eggplants. Cut into about 7 slices each, if thick, cut lengthwise, cutting to but not all the way through. Eggplant should be able to be fanned out without falling apart.
- Rub a 13x9 inch gratin dish with crushed garlic clove. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive in bottom of dish and rub to coat evenly. Place half the onion slices, thyme, marjoram, coriander, and a third of the sliced garlic in an even layer in prepared dish. Arrange eggplants on top and sprinkle with .75 tsp sea salt. Place 1 tomato slice between each eggplant "fan blade". Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Top with remaining sliced garlic, remaining onion slices, mushrooms, and olives. Drizzle with remaining .33 cup olive oil.
- Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees (keep dish in oven) and cook until eggplant is almost tender, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove and discard foil, and bake until juices are slightly reduced and eggplant is very tender, about 20 minutes. Garnish with torn basil to serve.
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1064mg | Potassium: 1036mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1470IU | Vitamin C: 35.8mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!