Black Bean Soup With Roasted Jalapeño Salsa
- 31 oz canned black beans 2 cans or 1 large, drained and rinsed
- 1 poblano pepper large, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 c red onions 1 onion, large, diced, separated
- 4 jalapenos seeded and diced
- 0.50 c fresh cilantro rinsed and picked
- 2 tbsp lime juice fresh
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2.75 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1 tsp sea salt separated
- 0.50 tsp ground black pepper separated
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the poblano, garlic, all but ⅓ cup of the onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the cumin.
- Add the beans and ½ cup water. Mash some of the beans with a fork or potato masher. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the soup is slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- For the salsa, combine the diced jalapeno, cilantro, remaining 1/3 cup onion, remaining salt and pepper, 2 tsp olive oil, and lime juice. Top soup with salsa to serve.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1430mg | Potassium: 841mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 395IU | Vitamin C: 52.6mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 4.8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!