Sweet Hot Mustard Chicken Thighs
- 2 c onions 2 onions, sliced into rings
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb bone-in chicken thighs
- 0.50 c dijon mustard
- 0.25 c coconut sugar can also use brown sugar
- 0.25 c red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 0.50 tsp ground chipotle pepper dried
- 0.125 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil plus additional for pan
- With a sharp knife, make 2 slashes crosswise into the skin and meat of each chicken thigh cutting to the bone. Cuts should be about 1-inch apart. Transfer thighs into a heavy resealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk until smooth garlic, Dijon mustard, coconut sugar, red wine vinegar, mustard powder, salt, black pepper, chipotle pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Pour marinade into bag over chicken thighs. Seal bag and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight for best flavor.
- Move a rack to the center position in oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly oil the foil.
- Scatter onion rings in a single layer onto prepared baking sheet. Place chicken thighs on top of onion rings. Spray or brush thighs with 2 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle thighs with additional salt and cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Roast chicken in preheated oven until the skin is browned, meat is tender, and the juices run clear, approximately 35 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and onions onto a serving platter. Pour pan drippings into a saucepan, bring to a boil, and continue boiling, stirring often, until drippings are reduced by half, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Skim excess fat from pan sauce.
- Spoon reduced pan sauce over each chicken thigh and serve with your favorite side dish.
Calories: 537kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 188mg | Sodium: 1113mg | Potassium: 566mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 295IU | Vitamin C: 7.3mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 2.2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!