Slow Cooker Peppery Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb boneless chuck roast trimmed
- 2 tsp ground black pepper divided
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 6 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 c red wine
- 2 c beef broth
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaf
- 1 lb turnips peeled and chopped, about 3 cups
- 1 lb carrots peeled and chopped, about 3 cups
- 1.25 lb butternut squash peeled and chopped, about 2 cups
- 2 c onions chopped
- 1 c water
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast with .5 tsp pepper and .5 tsp salt. Add roast to pan, cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove roast from pan and place in slow cooker. Deglaze skillet with wine and scrape up any bits from the bottom, then pour wine in with the roast in the slow cooker.
- Stir beef broth and flour together until there are no lumps. Pour over roast. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, and remaining salt and pepper. Add vegetables and water. Cook on LOW until roast is tender, about 7 hours.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Coarsely shred beef and stir beef and vegetables together.
Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 867mg | Potassium: 1100mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 17105IU | Vitamin C: 35.5mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 3.9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!