Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Stew
- 2 oz bacon chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cubed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- .25 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 oz mushrooms quartered, button or cremini
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 c onions diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 dried bay leaf
- .25 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 c whole milk
- .25 tsp ground mustard
- .25 c all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- In a skillet cook bacon over medium-high heat until bacon is crisp. Transfer bacon to slow cooker. Add chicken, salt, and pepper to skillet and cook until browned. Transfer chicken to slow cooker with bacon.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, transfer to slow cooker with meat. Add carrots, onions, and garlic and cook until softened. Add vinegar to deglaze and cook until reduced about 2 minutes. Add to slow cooker with other ingredients.
- Add broth, mustard, bay leaves, and milk. Cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- With 30 minutes before serving, melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until foamy. Add flour, cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes until starting to smell toasty. Using a ladle add 1 cup of the slow cooker broth to the roux and stir to combine, bringing up to a simmer. Pour mixture into slow cooker and cook another 30 minutes to allow the stew to thicken.
- Eat as is or serve over your choice of rice! Sprinkle fresh parsley over the top of the stew.
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 924mg | Potassium: 661mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3775IU | Vitamin C: 11.9mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1.8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!