Making a vegetarian burger shouldn’t have to mean spending hours roasting vegetables, cooking beans, and forming patties. This quick and tasty recipe can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. Try using half of a spare whole-grain hamburger bun in place of the bread slice. These burgers also work with any other canned bean variety, just mix and match the spices based on bean chosen. Za’atar and oregano would pair well with garbanzo beans, while a creole spice mix complements red beans. Don’t forget the toppings; pile your burger high with red onion, creamy avocado, and a juicy tomato slice.
20-Minute Black Bean Burgers
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 5 times. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine onion, garlic, juice, cumin, salt, rind, and beans in processor; pulse 4 to 5 times.
- Add bean mixture, walnuts, hot sauce, and egg to crumbs; stir well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 3/4-inch-thick patty.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned.